By Jennifer of Hybrid Rasta
While traveling through Thailand, my partner and I joked about buying a coconut plantation because it seems that everything now-a-days is coconut based!
- coconut oil
- coconut butter
- coconut shreds
- coconut water
- coconut milk and cream
- coconut flour
- and even coconut soya sauce (try it, it’s actually delicious)
Coconut (C. nucifera) belongs to the Arecaceae (Palmae) family and the subfamily Cocoideae.
The flesh of the coconut is very high in healthy fatty acids. The composition of fat varies depending on the type and processing of the oil. Medium-chain saturated fatty acids make up approximately 90% of coconut oil with a slight contribution of mono-unsaturated fatty acids and poly-unsaturated fatty acids.
What’s so good about Medium Chain Fatty Acids?
Medium-chain saturated fatty acids (MCFA’s) are easily digested, absorbed, and utilized by the body, while freely crossing the blood-brain barrier in the unbound form, which means it can be used by the brain as an energy source but also for neurological health.
What’s also great is that virgin (unrefined) coconut oil is affordable, readily available, delicious and completely natural. It’s also…
- Anti-carcinogenic (prevents the spread of cancer cells and enhances the immune system)
- Anti-microbial/ Infection fighting (bacteria, viruses, yeast, fungi, parasites and protozoa)
- An antioxidant (protects against free-radical formation and damage)
- Improves nutrient absorption (easily digestible; makes fat-based vitamins more available to the body – ie. vitamin A, D, E, K)
- Nontoxic to humans and animals.
The Holistic Health Store
Bring the song of the sea and the harmony of the deeps into your daily healing!
Coconut Oil for Personal Hygiene and the Body
- Age Spots (also known as liver spots) – applying coconut oil directly to the age spot will help it fade.
- After Shave – coconut oil will help heal your skin after shaving without clogging pores. Great for razor burn!
- Baldness – combine coconut oil with lavender, rosemary, thyme, cedarwood, Jojoba oil, Grapeseed/ castor oil and a little cayenne pepper. Apply three times a day (or before bed) to affected area of hair loss and massage in. Coconut oil and these essential oils supports cell regeneration.
- Body Scrub – mix coconut oil and salt together and rub all over! Rinse off and your skin will be super soft. You can add in essential oils if you would like a specific smell.
- Bruises – applied directly to the bruise, coconut oil enhances the healing process by reducing swelling and redness.
- Bug Bites – when applied directly to a bug bite, coconut oil can stop the itching and burning sensation as well as hasten the healing process.
- Burns – apply to burn site immediately and continue applying until healed. Will reduce the chances of permanent scarring and promotes healing.
- Chapstick – just rub a little into lips and it not only acts as a softening agent but it also has an SPF of about 4 so you get a little protection!
- Cradle Cap – having issues with dry skin on your baby’s scalp? Coconut oil will not only nourish your baby’s skin, it also helps eliminate cradle cap. Just rub a teaspoon onto scalp daily.
- Dandruff – coconut oil soaks into the scalp moisturizing dry skin and relieves symptoms of dandruff. It also helps to control oil secretion from the scalp, another leading cause of dandruff.
- Deodorant – coconut oil alone can be used as a deodorant, but even more effective in combination with cornstarch/arrowroot powder and baking soda.
- Diaper Salve – very comforting on a rashy bum with no harsh chemicals. Also safe for cloth diapers.
- Eye cream – apply under the eyes to reduce puffiness, bags and wrinkles. Use on the lids in the evening.
- Face Wash/ Soap – mix equal parts coconut oil with olive oil, almond oil, avocado oil and castor oil and use in place of soap when washing your face. Wet face, rub oil in and leave on for two minutes, rinse and pat dry. One teaspoon should be adequate.
- Hair conditioner/ Deep Treatment – use as a leave-in hair conditioner by applying a teaspoon of coconut oil to your ends and then running your fingers through your hair to distribute the rest. For a deeper treatment, rub in a tablespoon of coconut oil onto your dry scalp and gently work through to the ends. Put a shower cap on to prevent transfer onto bed linens and leave on overnight.
- Hair Gel/ Defrizzer – rub a little between your palms and either scrunch into hair (for curly hair) or finger comb in through from scalp to ends (for wavy/straight hair).
- Healing – when applied on scrapes and cuts, coconut oil forms a thin, chemical layer which protects the wound from outside dust, bacteria and virus. Coconut oil speeds up the healing process of bruises by repairing damaged tissues. Plus, it smells a heck-of-a-lot better than anything from the pharmacy.
- Lubricant – it is an all-natural, perfectly safe personal lubricant for masturbation and sex. Not compatible with latex!
- Makeup Remover – use a cotton swab and a dab of coconut oil and you would be amazed at how well it works!
- Massage Oil – pretty simple; grab some and rub!
- Moisturizer – simply scoop some out of the jar and apply all over your body, including neck and face. Often lotions are water-based and can dry out your skin even more.
- Nipple Cream – works great to nourish cracked, sore or dry nipples. Apply to a cotton ball and leave on your nipples between feedings.
- Acne Skin Fix – prone to oily skin or an oily T-zone? Use a pea sized amount underneath makeup or alone to reduce oil gland stimulation. Often acne prone skin is actually too dry, which signals your glands to produce more oil and clogs the pores.
- Pre-Shave – coconut oil will prep skin for the pending damage caused by shaving.
- Skin Conditions – coconut oil can relieves skin problems such as psoriasis, dermatitis, and eczema.
- Stretch Marks – coconut oil is great at nourishing damaged skin. It may not be the magic stretch mark cure but it will help.
- Sun Burn Relief – rub liberal amounts of coconut oil into the affected area.
- Sunscreen – It’s not high, but coconut oil does have an SPF of around 4.
- Swimmers Ear – mix garlic oil and coconut oil and put a few drops in affected ear for about 10 minutes. Do this 2-3 times a day and it usually works within one or two days.
- Tattoo Healing and Moisturizer – continued use of coconut oil on tattoos will help keep the pigment from fading. Used on new tattoos, coconut will hasten the healing process and decrease the chance of infection.
- Toothpaste – there are numerous recipes out there but I just mix coconut oil and baking soda and dab a little of the mix on my toothbrush.
- Wrinkle Prevention and Wrinkle Reducer – rubbing coconut oil on winkles and sagging skin helps strengthen the connective tissues to bring back that youthful look!
The Holistic Health Store
An upgrade on Bach remedies to rebalance and reharmonise wellbeing at the atomic level.
Buy Bach sound healing essences here
Coconut Oil for General Health and Wellness
- Breastfeeding – for breastfeeding moms, consuming 3 ½ tablespoons of coconut oil daily will enrich the milk supply.
- Bones and Teeth – coconut oil aids in the absorption of calcium and magnesium leading to better development of bones and teeth.
- Digestion – the saturated fats in coconut oil help control parasites and fungi that cause indigestion and other digestion related problems such as irritable bowel syndrome. The fat in coconut oil also aids in the absorption of vitamins, minerals and amino acids, making you healthier all around.
- Fitness – coconut oil has been proven to stimulate your metabolism, improve thyroid function, and escalate energy levels, all of which help decrease your unwanted fat while increasing muscle.
- Insulin Support – Improves insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose making it great for both diabetics and non-diabetic.
- Lung Function – increases the fluidity of cell surfaces.
- Nausea – rub some coconut oil on the inside for the wrist (PC 6) and forearm to calm an upset stomach.
- Nose bleeds – coconut oil can prevent nose bleeding that is caused by sensitivity to weather such as extreme heat and extreme cold. This condition happens when the nasal passages become dry because of cold or dry air resulting to burns and cracks in the mucus membranes so bleeding happens. To prevent this just put coconut oil in you nostrils. Doing this will strengthen and protect the capillaries in the nasal passages.
- Gum Health – oil pulling with coconut oil offers a two for one health benefit!
- Stress Relief – relieve mental fatigue by applying coconut oil to the head in a circular, massaging motion. The natural aroma of coconuts is extremely soothing thus helping to lower your stress level.
- Vitamin and nutrient absorption – makes fat-based nutrients more available to the body – ie. vitamin A, D, E, K
- Weight loss – the saturated fats contribute to weight loss and controlling cravings.
- Mental Cognition and Productivity – medium chain triglycerides freely pass the blood-brain barrier and allows an alternate source of energy to improve cognition.
The Holistic Health Store
Build the resonance of the beating of butterfly wings into your health and wellbeing
Buy Butterfly bioresonant sprays and essences here
Coconut Oil for Internal Health Problems
– when taken internally it is known for aiding, preventing, and relieving these health issue
- Acid Reflux/ Indigestion – if taken after a meal
- Adrenal and Chronic Fatigue
- Allergies – seasonal hay fever
- Alzheimer’s/Dementia – read my research here
- Asthma – even in children
- Bowel function – constipation, IBD (inflammatory bowel disease), gut infections
- Bronchial Infections and Cystic Fibrosis
- Cancer – has been shown to prevent colon and breast cancer
- Candida Albicans
- Cholesterol – improves HDL (‘good’ cholesterol) to LDL (‘bad’ cholesterol) ratio in people with high cholesterol
- Poor Circulation – feeling cold all the time or edema, especially in the extremities, apply coconut oil to the skin in a light circular pattern towards the heart. Similar to dry skin brushing
- Colds and Flues – as an anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory agent
- Mild Depression and Cognitive Dis-ease – in conjunction with CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy), fish oil and other treatment strategies
- Diabetes – helps keep blood sugar levels stable and helps with cravings
- Epilepsy – known to reduce epileptic seizures
- Flaky, Dry Skin – poor oil intake often results in dry skin and dandruff
- Gallbladder Disease – dietary oils can help increase bile flow, which can be helpful for gallbladder issues, but possibly harmful (ie. Gallstones)
- Gas – foul gas is often due to imbalance in the gut bacteria. Coconut oil is a mild anti-microbial to help re-establish healthy gut flora
- H. pylori – oral intake. Occasionally, antibiotic treatment may be necessary.
- Heart Disease – protects arteries from injury that causes atherosclerosis
- Hemorrhoids – can applied externally or internally twice a day
- Hot Flashes
- Immune System Builder
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome – alternating diarrhea and constipation are key signs of IBS
- Kidney Disease and Stones – aids in dissolving small stones
- Liver Disease
- Lung Disease
- Mental Clarity
- Menstruation Relief – regarding pain/cramps and heavy blood flow
- Migraines – with regular use
- Periodontal Disease and Tooth Decay
- Prostate Enlargement – BPH, benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Stomach Ulcers – helps soothe stomach lining and limit H. pylori growth
- Thyroid Function – can help regulates an overactive or underactive thyroid
- Urinary Tract Infections and Bladder Infections
The Holistic Health Store
Cleansing and purifying the aura with the songs of flowers and herbs
Buy Auro Biosonic products here
Coconut Oil and Topical Health Problems
– when applied topically it is known for aiding, relieving, or even curing these health issues
- Acne – Often acne prone skin is actually too dry, which signals your glands to produce more oil and clogs the pores.
- Head Lice – topical application
- Allergies/Hay Fever – rub a little inside the nostrils for quick relief. The pollen will cling to the oil.
- Athletes Foot
- Toenail Fungus
- Back Pain and Sore Muscles
- Boils and Cysts
- Circumcision healing – although I don’t support circumcision, coconut oil may help with healing.
- Decongestant – rub coconut oil on the chest and under the nose when congested from a cold or allergies
- Ear infection – place a few drops of coconut and garlic oil inside the ear twice daily for relief from pain. Also fights the infection itself.
- Genital Warts – genital warts often go away on their own after 2 years of the initial infection. Addition of topical coconut oil application over 6 month may be helpful
- Gum Disease, Gingivitis and Canker Sores – use as a toothpaste or rub directly on gums
- Herpes – applied topically and taken internally
- Hives – reduces the itch and swelling
- Pink eye – applied around and in the eye
The Holistic Health Store
For the songs of Nature in a bottle!
Read more of this article here
Please help us to continue supplying you with all the most up-to-date information on health and wellbeing – and also about how it is under attack. A small donation would make a huge difference to our research…Please give here.